Junior Laboratory Technician
AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc.
AquaTox Testing & Consulting Inc. is hiring a Junior Laboratory Technician
LOCATION: Puslinch, Ontario (Laboratory not accessible by public transportation; candidates must have reliable
transportation and valid driver’s license)
STATUS: ~12-month contract
ANTICIPATED START DATE: June 2018
An opportunity exists for a laboratory technician in our accredited Ecotoxicology Laboratory. As the successful candidate, you will be responsible for, or participate in:
- Performing technical activities related to the culturing and holding of fish, aquatic invertebrates and plants
- Performing technical activities related to the testing of water, effluent and wastewater samples, chemicals, sediments, and leachates/elutriates for their toxicity to fish, aquatic invertebrates and/or plants
- Assist in receipt and log-in of samples for testing
- Performing tasks related to general housekeeping practices
- Performing routine analysis of water quality parameters including pH, dissolved oxygen, water hardness and conductivity
- Conducting additional general lab measurements such as hardness, alkalinity, CO2, ammonia, chlorine
- Performing routine data entry
- Water and food preparation for testing and culturing
- Participate in staff meetings with the laboratory manager and other technical staff to review workload requirements as needed\
- Perform all tasks in a manner that supports AquaTox’s Quality Assurance Program
- For candidates with microbiology experience, your skills may be used to support and conduct microbial and biodegradation tests (e.g., OECD 301, OECD 302)
- Perform all activities in a manner that is consistent with AquaTox’s commitment to the health and safety of all staff, clients, and visitors.
- Conduct all activities and interactions in a respectful and professional manner that is consistent with AquaTox’s policies.
This position will be of interest to those with an undergraduate B.Sc., with an aquatic toxicology, environmental biology, chemistry and/or microbiology specialty. One to two years of practical work experience in a commercial laboratory setting, combined with knowledge of aquatic toxicology, microbiology, or general laboratory experience (e.g. wet chemistry) would be considered an asset. As a well-organized and conscientious worker, you are familiar with general laboratory procedures and laboratory safety (i.e. WHMIS trained). You demonstrate strong computer skills, including data entry and record keeping abilities. As an essential member of our team, you are reliable and available to work flexible hours and weekends (on a rotational basis). In addition, you are willing to work professionally in a team environment and have a commitment to thrive in a proactive organization that believes our employees are the key to our success. If you would like to take the next step, we want to hear from you. Interested candidates should forward their cover letter and resume by June 25th to: Lesley Novak firstname.lastname@example.org If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs. We thank all applicants, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
LGL Limited environmental research associates
LGL Limited is one of North America’s premier ecological research and consulting firms. Our scientists conduct research, monitoring, and environmental assessments for a variety of clients in Canada, the United States, and beyond. We are presently seeking a fulltime Aquatic Scientist to join our growing team of water quality experts in one of our office locations: Sidney BC, Cambridge ON, or King City ON.
The successful candidate will be a team player – knowledgeable and experienced in the application of ecological principles and practices to protect and manage water quality under federal and provincial regulatory frameworks in Canada. Knowledge and experience with the regulatory framework in the US and the development of environmental quality benchmarks (e.g., water quality guidelines) are additional qualities of interest.
To succeed in this position, you must be business-minded, motivated, and flexible. An ongoing commitment to reliable and competent service to colleagues and clients is essential. The position entails office time, inter-regional collaboration, and fieldwork involving travel and working in remote areas.
The successful candidate demonstrates abilities and experience consistent with the following minimum requirements:
- MSc with specialization in aquatic ecology and/or water quality;
- At least five years of experience working in the field of water quality sampling, design, and analysis;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Working knowledge of statistical software such as R, and ability to apply appropriate univariate and multivariate statistical methods;
- Experience with water, sediment, and/or biological sampling;
- Experience developing and managing complex projects, including budgets, schedules, and deliverables;
- Valid driver’s license.
LGL Limited provides competitive salaries commensurate with experience and capability. We also offer financial and extended health care benefits. If you meet the requirements and are keen to join the LGL team, please send via email a cover letter with career goals and objectives (including any office preference from the three listed above), citizenship/residency status, and a full CV to:
Ms. Joanne Dovey
9768 Second Street
Sidney, B.C. V8L 3Y8
E-mail any enquiries. No phone calls please.
LGL is an employee-owned, international environmental research and consulting firm with 47 years of experience conducting fish and wildlife research and monitoring projects in North America and around the globe. At LGL, we focus on practical, credible, and timely solutions to meet our clients’ needs.